Sunday, August 19, 2007

FamilySearch Indexing Tips

I wanted to share with you some of the helpful tips I have been receiving that have made my FamilySearch Indexing experience easier. The first tip came even before I began to index, it was just the motivation I needed to get with the program.

From: J. Conklin

When I was indexing a page of the Ohio census that had been badly "burned" (the bottom of the page was completely black) -- I was adjusting the highlights and the overlay is yellow. With the overlay over the black part of the page, the writing underneath was visible. And then I realized that was working the way a patron at the FHC on Wednesday said to get your film image better. She said get yellow onion-skin paper, lay it on the white "screen" at the bottom of the microfilm reader, and voila!! How's that for a trick?

[Renee's Note: As I began indexing and found the highlight was off a line, J. Conklin was kind enough to send me detail instructions with images on how to adjust them.]

Here is a PDF on "How to Adjust Highlights"


From: Mitch


Renee, you can change the highlighter color. I use yellow almost all the time. Go to TOOLS, then OPTIONS and pick a color. You can also play with TRANSPARENCY - I have used that successfully.

Another trick worth trying is the INVERT CURRENT IMAGE. The icon looks like an upper case C in script on a page split between black (right hand side) and white (left hand side).

If unsure of the first letter in a name look at the month. They give clues for A, D, F, J, M, N, O and S.

Finally, try changing the size (you might have mentioned this one).

For dates, the children are almost always listed in order. Check the ages and dates above and below. The date and age should add up to 1899 if late in the year (after the date of the census and this date will show up at the top of each page (16 June 1900 on my current page).

--------------

I really appreciate these tips and they have been very useful. If you have any FSI tips to share shoot me an email and I will pass the info along: zamora05@hotmail.com

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: