Sunday, March 23, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 35

This has been a nice quiet lovely Eastern day. I sat and watched the Sound of Music while I did my FamilySearch Indexing this evening. Since there was no New York projects to work on I determined to get more credit for indexing than I actually do. That is I worked on this Irish Marriage Index 1922-1958.

My first batch had only one page and three columns in it. I indexed 230 names and got credit for 375. Which reminds me of the following email I received this week.
Read your #134 Indexing Blog today. I have a tip that you need badly. When you need to put in multiple lines of "Blank" do this:
1. Highlight the first field in the first line of those that need to be marked with "Blank"
2. Then hold down shift and use the down arrow to highlight all of the first field to the end.
3. Then click on the second B, the one with the three boxes over it and immediately every field is filled with "Blank". You could also do Control + Shift + B and get the same result, but the other is easier.
If you had known about that you would have felt even guiltier about getting credit for 750 records!
I have made use of this lovely shortcut to mark blank records blank. And you know what? I didn't feel guilty at all getting credit this week. I guess one of the reasons I didn't feel this way was because I had so much work to do on my second batch.

At first I thought, oh what a piece of cake - I received a batch that someone else had worked on and I needed to finish it. I had never had that experience before. It had 197 names indexed and I knew there wouldn't be much more to add to it because it only had one page with three columns on it. I read that I needed to proof what the other person had indexed. That is where the work came in. Boy what a job it was.

Whomever had the batch before me messed up on the rows and must of discovered the error and decided it was better to return the whole batch. Maybe they didn't realize you could add a row in the middle of the batch. When all was said and done I had added 23 records throughout the batch. And of course there were multiple errors along the way. I'm not sure how many Michaels were in the batch but everyone of them were mis-spelt as Micheal. It would of been almost easier to have indexed from the beginning all by myself.

Well my two batches for the day are done and I have credit now for indexing 5,051 records to date. I used to say I had indexed the total number as names but now I realize that isn't necessarily true anymore but they are all records I have had to account for. So I leave you now this evening, tired and ready to go to bed. I hope you have a lovely Easter Day.

See you tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: