Thursday, March 13, 2008

FamilySearch Developers Conference Reports

This is for all my developers friends that would like to know more about what was discussed at the FamilySearch Developers Conference held at BYU this past Wednesday. I have found two blogs associated with the Center for Open and Sustainable Learning (COSL) at USU.

Justin Ball, blog author of Nobody Listens Anyway has five articles taken from his notes from the conference. Justin says in his bio he likes to build stuff, cools stuff in the hopes that someone, somewhere will learn something.
  • "FamilySearch Conference" - gives highlights from the keynote address "Brave New Platform: Changing the World of Genealogy" given by Ransom Love on Social Networking.
  • "FamilySearch API"- it goes a little more technical than most of us need to understand, but it is interesting to see a developers reaction to getting access to the information.
  • "Family Tree Read" - gives some information from his notes on what the Family Tree outputs. Once again a little more technical but some developers will like this.
  • "FamilySearch Write" - I wish he gave more information on what he discussed with the CTO & founder of Geni, Alan Braverman at lunch. Who knew there were so many aspects to an API just so I could share my information from my genealogy software program to NFS.
  • "Ruby FS-API" - Ruby is an open-source programming language - great for the developer to work with.
Tom, blog author of Tom's 2¢ has 2 articles from the conference. Tom is from Logan, UT and currently working on his PhD in Instructional Technology at Utah State University.
It appears bright minds were in attendance. I look forward to the wonderful creative things they can come up with to make the FamilySearch API and the future products that use it shine.

1 comment:

jbasdf said...

Hi Renee,

Thanks for reading and I hope my notes make sense to someone. There is a lot of energy in the genealogy space right now. I am still new to that world, but I am hoping to throw together a couple of smaller applications that might help in the effort.

Justin