Thursday, March 13, 2008

PAF is only mostly dead!

The Ancestry Insider has just posted an interesting article "PAF is only mostly dead!" You just have to read it. The lucky Ancestry Insider appears to be attending all of the BYU Conferences this week. The article I mentioned is news from the first annual FamilySearch Developers Conference, held yesterday. Today is the Family History Technology Workshop and tomorrow begins the Computerized Family History and Genealogy Conference.

I could only afford to attend once conference so I picked the Computerized Family History and Genealogy Conference that is on Friday and Saturday. My main focus is to learn how Ancestral Quest, Family Insight, Legacy and RootsMagic sync with New FamilySearch. I was lucky to get a little peak at some of the programs at the South Davis Regional Family History Fair last week. RootsMagic had the most complete demonstration on syncing with NFS, which lasted a hour - WAHOO! I feel I can write a good article on that program now, but I want to wait until I see more on the others, so I can give some type of comparison.

If you live near the Utah Valley or plan to travel here around May 10th you might just want to schedule in attending the UVPAFUG monthly meeting. We will have a special meeting that month with four main presentations, and no class breakout session. The reason is Gaylon Finlay of Ancestral Quest, John Vilburn of Family Insight, Geoff Rasmussen of Legacy, and Bruce Buzbee of RootsMagic will be demonstrating back to back how their programs will sync with NFS. I believe they will have around 45 minutes to give their presentations. I am so looking forward to this meeting.

The UVPAFUG meeting will be open to all at no charge. We will be videotaping the presentations and later selling a DVD of it to members of the group. Maybe you will consider joining our group, to help support us, then you will have the benefit of buying the DVD for about $3.00 - I'm just not sure if it will be a two DVD set or not. OK, that's enough of the sales pitch - now I'm off to prepare for the conference tomorrow.

See you tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love to get a copy of that DVD featuring the presentations of the various software that will interface with NFS--I need to aquaint my FHC staff with the options available. How can I get one? kmicklos