Monday, June 16, 2008

Surname Suggestion List

I just read Dick Eastman article Surname Suggestion List. I couldn't wait to download the program and see what suggestions it had for Weatherwax. It didn't have all the variations that I have seen but at least it gave an indication that I should try Wiederwax.

If I had known that information when I first started to work on genealogy it would of save many hours of research. It would of been my first indication that it was derived from a German surname. I need to give some feed back to developer Matthew Combs and say thanks and give him the other spelling variations I have for the Weatherwax. I guess I need to put that on my to-do list.

Besides giving spelling suggestions the program will also let you do a Google search on the results. Now that is really handy. It appears to be a simple and useful tool for the genealogy community. I'm sure I will be giving it more spins in the future.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

3 comments:

Matt Combs said...

Renee, This is Matt Combs, author of the software. Thanks for your nice comments. If you have any ideas for making the program more useful, please let me know.

Also, I am very interested in your Weatherwax variants. If you email me them, I will look into adding them to the surname database in the next release.

Matt Combs
Lewisville, NC

Shannon said...

I love this program, I put it up on my blog and on my forum back at the beginning of my. I've used it a lot, even though its missing some suggestions I've come across, its given a lot to look for I hadnt considered before!!

Matt Combs said...

Shannon, could you leave a comment with the surname suggestions you felt were missing? I would like to see them, and see if I can make the program better.

Thanks, Matt.