Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing - Week 56

I sit here ready to work on FamilySearch Indexing. Man I am tired. So much has been going on in my life in the past two weeks. I am learning my new job at World Vital Records and loving it. But, now I am tired and sitting and working on indexing is just the thing I need.

As I index I am listening to the Democratic National Convention on TV. I have watched more TV in the past couple of weeks that I do all year long. Thank goodness for laptops, folding tables and comfy couches.

There are no new messages from Headquarters this week in My Messages. I thought by chance I would look on the actual website www.familysearchindexing.org and found two messages to share with you. I guess I need to check the website more often.
Date: August 27, 2008
Subject: Thank you!

We truly appreciate all those who have participated in indexing. Year to date, we have completed 80 million names. Great work!
Isn't that fantastic news 80 million names just this year and we have 3 more months to go!
Date: August 19, 2008
Subject: Special Update to Resolve Launching & Certificate Errors

A special update has been made to the FamilySearch indexing application to resolve the issues we were experiencing last week. To get this special update:
  1. Click the Start Indexing button on this page.
  2. A dialog box will appear to notify you when this update is complete. Click OK.
  3. Open the indexing application again, using either the Start Indexing button or the shortcut icon on your desktop.
Some may receive an "Unable to launch application" error message the first time they open the application since this update was made. If you receive this message, close it and click Start Indexing again. If you continue to receive this error message, please follow the instructions that were posted below on August 12th.
Just encase you missed this earlier notice I have included it below.
Date: August 12, 2008
Subject: Error Launching Application

If you receive an error such as "Unable to launch the application," please click here and follow the instructions. If you still cannot open the application, contact Indexing Support at indexing@familysearch.org.

If you are using a Macintosh computer, please click here and follow these instructions.
Now I know why I was having issues getting my program to open the last couple of weeks. I did have a reader tell me they had put that as an known issue on the website but this was the first I had a chance to look at it. Now I know I need to look in two places for messages from FamilySearch.

Now that I was ready to start indexing I just couldn't believe what was listed among the projects to index - NEW YORK records. The 1870 U.S. Federal Census as a matter of fact. If I had been sitting on a chair I would of fell out of it. Thank goodness again for comfy couches. I didn't injury myself making me unable to index. This was one very happy camper indexing tonight.

It is amazing when you love what you are doing, the energy that just comes to you. I wasn't as tired working on my batches just because they were from New York. I was so motivated. In fact I indexed 5 batches with 40 names each. That made my total number of names indexed for the night 200. To date I have indexed 8,297 records.

I think I did the most batches I have ever done in an indexing session. When I was working on the Irish records there were more records to index in a batch, so I have indexed more in a day before. It was so hard to stop indexing tonight because I was so excited to be doing New York records. I find the whole experience very enlighting to me. Well I'm going to leave you on a high note tonight.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

1 comment:

Renee Zamora said...

If you are looking for the comments on www.deathrecordsobituarysearch.com they have been deleted. I believe the site to be a scam. If I am wrong why don't you give me a free trial to your site and let me report on it.