Monday, February 23, 2009

Adventures in FamilySearch Indexing: Week 75

I guess I've been on the computer to much lately. My right arm is killing me. I had a hard time brushing my hair this morning. It's right where the muscle attaches to the elbow, well somewhere in that area. I've been putting ice packs on it but no relief yet. It's like my arm is permanently bend so I can hold a mouse or type on the keyboard. Which I know is exactly what I shouldn't be doing. So obviously I am trying to cut back on my computer hours. I work on a computer all day so that's a hard thing to do.

So now it comes down to do I work on indexing this week? I thought I would just work on one quick batch. Well, one is better than three! First I have to check to see if we have any messages, and yes we do, and one really important one to!

From the FamilySearch Indexing site:

February 19, 2009:Indexing Resource Guide

During the most recent update to the FamilySearch Indexing Web site, a resource guide was added under the Help tab. This page is a quick reference tool for finding answers to most indexing questions. It includes resources for indexers, arbitrators, group administrators, and stake extraction directors. It also includes language resources, such as handwriting helps for English, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, and Dutch.

To find the resource guide, click the Help tab above, and then click Publications.
The next two messages are on My Messages in the FamilySearch Indexing application.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Semimonthly Message
Date: 16 Feb 2009

Some projects, such as the UK Cheshire School Records, include different types of documents and records. Because of this, sometimes the entry fields may not be in the same order as the data on the image. You can rearrange the order of the entry fields to match the image. To do this:
  1. Click the View menu.
  2. Click the Organize Fields...
  3. In the Organize Fields window, click the field name.
  4. Click the up or down arrow to move the field up or down in the list.
In the Organize Fields window you can also hide a field. Click the name of the field, and then click the right arrow to move the field to the Hidden Fields list. To unhide a field, click a field in the Hidden Fields list, and then click the left arrow.
This last message is really important, if you plan on indexing in the middle of the night.
From: Headquarters
Subject: Notification of Downtime
Date: 23 Feb 2009

PLEASE NOTE:

The FamilySearch indexing image server computer will be down for maintenance from midnight tonight, February 23rd, to 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 24th (MST, GMT-7). No images will be available to download during these two hours; however, you may still be able to index batches that are downloaded before midnight and submit them during this time.
Well, now it's time to work on my batch. Darn, there are no Federal Censuses. I decide to work on the Arkansas Marriages III - 1837 to 1957. I did one record and sent the batch back. I had to do to much scrolling up and down to find the information. I just don't feel up to to that.

Now I decide to work on the Massachusetts 1865 State Census - Darn, no work available. Lets try the Nova Scotia 1871 Census. Yes, I got a batch and it only had 40 names to index. My grand total to date indexed is 10,981. If I had all my body parts working better I could of so reached 11,000 today. I didn't want to over do it so I didn't. That just shows you how much in pain I am to actually stop myself from reaching 11,000 today. I guess I will go into my corner now and whimper with an ice pack. At least my soul feels good inside because I did my indexing for the week.

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: