Sunday, October 25, 2009

Getting the Most out of RootsMagic 4

I just finished reading "Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 4" and highly recommend it to all RootsMagic users. It's taken me quit a while to finish all 336 pages because I spend more time on the computer lately than I do with my nose in a book.

I had some time to kill reading while at the mechanics yesterday and surprisingly was really annoyed when I was told my car was done. When I got home I decided to just keep reading. I was forming all sorts of ways to get myself totally organized by using so many different RootsMagic features.

You can play with a program all you want but still not know everything. To find out the treasures, or parts you just didn't know were there to access, you need to pick the programmer/developer's mind. Thankfully all of us have the benefit of learning how to use RootsMagic straight from the RootsMagician himself, Bruce Buzbee.

The book was not written like a software manual. Yes, you have chapters devoted to different features, so it's easy to look up answers to your questions on how-to do such and such. The thing I love is the dash of humor and conversationally way the book is written. You learn how to use the program from the ground up painlessly. But, then again, RootsMagic is a painless program to learn anyways.

I am going to have so much more fun with RootsMagic 4 now. I can't wait to play with the Correspondence List and make Custom Reports. I also have issues with some of my custom facts not having sentence templates. Getting the Most Out of RootMagic 4 was just the reference book I needed.

I had planned that when I finished the book I was going to lend it to my brother to read. Now I think I will just buy one for him for Christmas. If you have a RootsMagic user on your shopping list you can go to www.rootsmagic.com/rmbook.htm and order it for $10.00 plus s/h. The site says it regularly $14.95 so I have no idea when or if the price might change. Go ahead, order one, you know you want to!

See ya tomorrow, for tomorrow is always another genealogy day!

No comments: