October 29, 2009
Family history center directors and consultants,
The Family History Department continues to need Church Service missionaries who can serve in a support role in answering family history questions. Please help by contacting Church members you know who would be interested and able to serve and encouraging them to consider this opportunity. These individuals will enjoy a unique missionary experience by providing assistance to FamilySearch patrons all from the convenience of their homes.
FamilySearch Support missionaries serve part-time from home, using their home computer and phone to receive phone calls and / or e-mails to provide assistance to patrons across the world. Missionaries receive help and training through a variety of computer and Internet-based systems. The missionaries assist in supporting the following family history programs and resources:
· The new FamilySearch
· Internet Indexing and Name Extraction
· Record Search
· Family History Center Support
· Research Support and the Research Wiki
Missionaries help in the release and testing of new family history programs, and provide feedback and suggestions essential to this great effort. There is a special need for missionaries fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. Missionary candidates may include those currently unable to serve a full-time mission due to health or other concerns. Priesthood leaders may see this service opportunity as ideal for temple-worthy young men and women who are unable to serve full-time missions.
To serve as a Church Service missionary, members will review specific service requirements with missionary support personnel. In addition, members are to meet with their local priesthood leaders to discuss the opportunity and complete a church service missionary application.
Prospective FamilySearch Support missionaries should meet the following qualifications:
· Be temple worthy (not necessarily endowed)
· Be willing to commit to a mission call of at least 12 months, and preferably 18-24 months (can extend up to 30 months of total service)
· Be able to serve at least 15-20 hours per week, and be available for 20 hours a week of training during the first two months of service
· Have prior family history experience
· Have access to a personal computer, phone line, and broadband (DSL, Cable or other) speed internet connection
· Have considerable personal computer and internet experience
For more information, please contact FamilySearch Support at 1-866-406-1830 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Additional toll-free phone numbers may be found by clicking here.
Thank you for your help in sharing this FamilySearch missionary opportunity with interested members.
U.S. and Canada: 1-866-406-1830
International: go to http://contact.familysearch.