Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Ouch! - Mozy's Rate Hike Was Not Good for Me

The following is from Mozy.com.

Dear Renee Zamora,

Thanks for being a valued Mozy subscriber. For the first time since 2006, we’re adjusting the price of our MozyHome service and wanted to give you a heads up. As part of this change, we’re replacing our MozyHome Unlimited backup plan and introducing the following tiered storage plans:

50 GB for $5.99 per month (includes backup for 1 computer)
125 GB for $9.99 per month (includes backup for up to 3 computers)

You may add additional computers (up to 5 in total) or 20 GB increments of storage to either of the plans, each for a monthly cost of $2.00.

While this policy takes effect for new MozyHome customers starting today, your MozyHome Unlimited subscription is still valid for the duration of your current monthly term. Your new plan will take effect on your first renewal after March 1, 2011. Based on your current usage of 1 computers and 95.77 gigabytes, your renewal plan will be $9.99 for a monthly term.

As the leader in online backup, we’re committed to continually providing the highest levels of service and protection that you’ve come to expect from us as well as delivering those innovations you’ve been asking for. For more information on the factors that led to this change, please read my note or visit our FAQ.

Be safe,
Harel Kodesh
President

Renee's Note:  It's always bad news to see your bill double in cost, from $4.95 to $9.99 a month. But given the service I'm hanging around.

2 comments:

JL said...

That's good to find out. I'm using Carbonite right now after being a Mozy user previously, but thought I might switch back this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Carbonite follows the price-hike.

Right now my backup is 285 GB with another 100 GB pending although it seems about 200 GB must be duplicate files that they haven't let go of yet. Would I be paying for duplicate files?

I've switched my backup plan to rotating external hard-drives every month, with some older drives being rotated mid-month. I always take the most up-to-date drive with me whenever I leave the house.

So, with prices skyrocketing (someone warned me years ago they couldn't keep doing what they do at present prices)I'm not sure I still need this type of service.

Anonymous said...

It hit me in the same manner. Therefore I will be looking elsewhere for an unlimited plan !